From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Pommier, Rex R.
Sent: Tuesday, May 02, 2006 12:54 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Securing consoles

Hi Tim.

Good questions/comments.

I would actually want them logging on to do their work.  The area
management is planning on moving the consoles to is (as far as I'm
concerned) an unsecured area.  People come into and out of this area on
a regular basis with nobody seeing them.  The idea mgmt has is that the
operator will always be there so it will be secure, but we have 1
operator per shift and the printers and tape drives (not robotic) are
located in the computer room so the operator will often be away from the
console.

As far as the operator issuing meaningless commands once in a while,
that's OK because that means they're at the console.  My biggest concern
is when they're away from them that somebody could come in and cause
considerable damage while they're unattended.  That's why I am asking
about the auto-logoff.  I am OK with them even using a single ID for
everybody.

Rex