>>Any program that returns to the operating system by branching
>>to the address it was told when it initially got control is
>>assumed to have completed successfully.
>
>SVC 3 = normal completion
>SVC 13 = abnormal completion

Absolutely correct but programs usually don't issue SVC3 directly
but rather exit with a "BR R14". R14 points to an "SVC 3" instruction
when programs get control from MVS.

>That's not entirely accurate.  It depends how the SVC 13 is issued.

You probably mean the fact that the "code type" parameter of the
ABEND macro detemines whether it will be seen as a user or a
system abend, right?

Since the OP's question seemed to more of a beginner's type of
question, I didn't want to go into more (assembler) details.

Usually, Sxxx abends are for system code, user abend for application
code. You can of course code an SD37 abend and confuse everybody.

Peter Hunkeler
Credit Suisse