At 16:20 -0500 on 08/25/2006, Mark wrote about Re: VSAM CLOSE failure problem:

Charles,
When I issue the close request, I do indeed still have the ACB in core. The SHOWCB ERROR as noted in the docs return the same info as the acberflg.

So as far as I can tell, VSAM is returning an RC of 4, but zero error value. A combination which is not documented. So either I'm missing some documentation, or DFSMS is returning a bad error value.

Any more ideas?

Are you closing them one at a time or all 4 in the same close. If the latter, try closing them one at at time and see if it helps (or returns better tracking results).