-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Craddock, Chris
Sent: Friday, August 25, 2006 11:44 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: ISV Anchor Table

> > ECVTCTBL points to the array of customer anchors.
> >
> When is this preferable to name/token services?  When is name/token
> services preferable?  Is there any protocol such as prefix
> registration to prevent collisions in name/token services?

Peter Relson doles out anchor table slots on request (one per
vendor). The implied purpose of the customer anchor table is to
allow each vendor to have a global skyhook. It basically
amounts to a CVT for your own products.

You build your own "stuff" in a block of common storage
(typically ECSA or ESQA) and place its address in your
designated slot. Once its there you can access your own stuff
from any address space by a sequence of 4 loads. That has the
advantages of being blindingly fast and about as complicated as
a bowling ball.

There is no serialization protocol that I am aware of and
(based on personal experience) only a handful of vendors
actually exploit it anyway. I can't imagine NOT using it.

CC

send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with the message: GET
IBM-MAIN INFO Search the archives at
http://bama.ua.edu/archives/ibm-main.html