>Here's a weird one. The Storage folks where I work run batches of ALTERs
>to change Storage and Management classes for SMS managed data sets. Their
>current procedure calls for saving a list of data sets in ISPF 3.4, then
>editing the resultant list into ALTER control cards.
>
>One of them asked me to come up with a REXX exec to help create the
>control cards, because it was hard when the list was thousands of data
>sets long. But then she told me I had to keep each job down to 30 or
>less ALTERs because any more would bog the system down.
>
>Upon further investigation, I found that the batch job they use is
>actually batch TSO, not IDCAMS. I'm suspecting that using the ALTER TSO
>command under batch TSO may be the reason for the bogging and that using
>IDCAMS would produce different results as far as performance is concerned.
>
>Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Have any of you run into
>performance degradation when running too many ALTERs?

Suggestion #1 - you can find on the CBT tape a number of TSOCP's which do
a WAIT for a number of seconds, see file 300, PGM=DELAY. The programmer
can introduce this command every 30 Alters or so with a delay some seconds
so processing can catchup. This makes the gludge more gludgey.

Suggestion #2 - change the format of the alter to IDCAMS control cards and
run using IDCAMS. note: a less gludey approach.

Suggstion #3 - look at the SMS routines to minimize why 1&2 would even be
necessary.

Jim