-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of McKown, John
Sent: Thursday, September 07, 2006 9:06 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: KOREAN INSURER RETIRES 7,000 MIPS MAINFRAMES
<snip>
Now, having said that, it might be possible to create a
zSeries specific virus. But it is unlikely due to the lack of targets.
<snip>

It has already been done. It is for this reason that production control
should do their OWN compiles and links into the PRODUCTION load
libraries which are WRITE enabled for only a limited number of IDs while
all others have read only authority (or execute only).

Methodology of PC virii was examined and then an attempt to do similar
behaviors with the S/370 instruction set was attempted. It was found
that a virus could pre-fix a load module, get executed and spread to
other modules in that load library.

When I read about this back about 1992 I was blown away. I have
forgotten who it was that did this, and what specific O/S was used (I
thought it was MVS/SP2, but memory is a bit hazy now).

Regards,
Steve Thompson