On 7 Sep 2006 06:43:00 -0700, in bit.listserv.ibm-main you wrote:

>On Thu, 7 Sep 2006 10:20:21 -0300, Clark F Morris
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>>....  Reliability is based on the
>>least reliable component.  COBOL is required to generate code that
>>correctly (if slowly) handles decimal....
>
>what???
>Are you saying that COBOL code is unreliable?
>that only cobol can generate decimal arithmetic?
>that packed decimal arithmetic is slow?

Ooops, I had too many brief statements.  What I was trying to say was:

1.  Even a mainframe can be insecure and unreliable if the facilities
aren't used properly.  The application has to use the security
facilities in order to be secure.  Thus the application (or the system
installation process or the security administration) may be the least
reliable component.

2.  I am saying that COBOL is required to deliver the same results on
decimal arithmetic regardless of platform and presence or absence of
decimal arithmetic on that platform.  Thus the HP Superdomes in this
case should still get the same results in any given computation if
compatible compiler options are chosen to match what was done on the z
series.

3.  Packed decimal arithmetic is much slower than binary on the z
series.  True decimal arithmetic becomes even more painful compute
time wise on those platforms that don't have a decimal arithmetic
instruction set.  The greater speed of the other processors offsets
this to at least some extent.