From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of
Edward Jaffe
Sent: Wednesday, September 06, 2006 5:17 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: CBU - ISV support

גדי בן אבי wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We are investigating activating the CBU option on our z890's.
>
> Our IBM rep said that there is no problem with IBM software, which makes
> sense since IBM software does not use passwords.
>
> How do ISV products that have passwords the depened on the CPU capacity
> setting handle this situation.

Good question! I was doing some research in the area fairly recently.

ISV software needs to be able to query the so-called "base" capacity.
That is, the original capacity prior to a CBU upgrade. (It is the
capacity upon which IBM software charges are based). I was disappointed
to find this information cannot be obtained from existing published
interfaces. Specifically, the support was limited to the following:

o The CSRSI callable service returns the field SI00LASTUPDATETIMESTAMP,
which tells you when the last capacity upgrade/downgrade occurred. But,
there is no way to know what the base (or *any* prior) capacity was.
o An ENFREQ LISTEN exit can be established by long-running tasks for
type 61 (mapped by IWMENF61) to be notified when an upgrade/downgrade
occurs.

--
Edward E Jaffe
Phoenix Software International, Inc