OK,  I'm looking at the Enterprise COBOL V3R4 Customization Guide chapter
4.4 which has an example of the unicode requirements for both DB2 and COBOL
which contains the following statements -

CONVERSION 1140,1200; /* Latin-1 to UTF-16, *RECLM*               */
CONVERSION 1200,1140; /* UTF-16 to Latin-1, *RECLM*

CONVERSION 1140,1200,ER; /* Latin-1 to UTF-16, ER
CONVERSION 1200,1140,ER; /* UTF-16 to Latin-1, ER

and the following document -

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/dzichelp/v2r2/index.jsp?topic=/com.ibm.db2.doc.inst/bjnnmstr458.htm

confirms that COBOL uses the RECLM technique and DB2 uses the ER technique.
So far so good, except that if you try and run the sample above, there are
errors because the second 2 statements are duplicates of the first 2 ie you
can only have one conversion from 1140 to 1200 (obviously). Can anyone
explain how you are supposed to cater for both the DB2 and COBOL
requirements.  Is ER just a subset of RECLM. What do you code if you require
both.

Jim McAlpine