I am looking for a fast way to erase (DESTROY) all of the data on a 3390-3
logical drive on a RAMAC 3.  Following is a description of what we have
tried.  Thanks for any info.

We attempting to erase all of the data on a RAMMAC 3.  We have used the
INIT command with the VALIDATE PURGE parameters as well the
TRKFMT UNITADDRESS(0169) VERIFY(DBC169) ERASEDATA -
        FROMRANGE(0,0) TOLERATE(ENQFAIL) CYCLES(1)
Both were slower than molasses.  It took 3 hours (wall time) to erase a
volume.  We have 500 volumes to erase.  Can you help

Mark House
(402) 778-1966
Technical Development Services
[EMAIL PROTECTED]