On 19 Sep 2006 13:26:21 -0700, in bit.listserv.ibm-main (Message-ID:<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ted MacNEIL) wrote:

I don't think it's a question of lack of sense of humour, but rather the excessive noise on this list. Seemingly every thread deteriorates into
discussions of ancient hardware/software or semantics and grammar or politics or crime. "Hit em up side the head with a bat" adds little value to the discussion.

You're right it does.
But, I was trying to point out (in a round about way), that sometimes termination of an employee is the only choice.

The OP pointed out that it happened more than once.
In some cases, once is barely acceptable.

But! Twice? NO WAY!

Yes, even good operators can fat-finger a command more than once, given years in which to do it. And, of course, there are enough operators that even if each gets only one bite, it can wreak havoc on SLAs.

We implemented the auto-ops rule after *good* operators made the mistake.

Yes, you can fire people for two typos. As I said, though, all that will do is make sure that no command is entered without a loooong look to make sure it's right. (Or, you'll have so much turnover that you'll never have to worry about what a good operator will do.) How long do you want system start-up and shut-down to take?

As shown by some of the responses, this problem is endemic, rather than the fault of individual operators. I did not object to the humor, per se, but to the idea that *any* punishment is correct for this mistake.

There are other errors for which I've jokingly commented about the desirability of breaking someone's thumbs. But it was always when people did things when they should have known (or did know) better. Typos do not fall into that category.

(Speaking of people who should know better, how about adding a "-- " line to separate your sig?)

--
I cannot receive mail at the address this was sent from.
To reply directly, send to ar23hur "at" intergate "dot" com