On Tue, 19 Sep 2006 17:02:25 -0500, John M. Cullen
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>We want to share a few DASD among our four Lpars and have SMS
>doing allocation.  Each Lpar runs z/OS as a monoplex seperate
>from the others.  Two are 1.4 and two are 1.7 right now.
>We do not have any kind of sysplex.  Nor do we have an SMSplex,
>whatever that is.
>
>We would update SMS rules in every Lpar to indicate these
>volsers in an SMS storage group and set up storageclass, dataclass
>& mgmtclass.  Each high level qualifier would be setup in every
>Lpar's master catalog using an  existing ucat on a non-SMS dasd
>that is online to all lpars.
>
>Would SMS for lpar-P get confused if SMS for lpar-D was allocating
>a file on those dasd at the same time she was?  Does SMS from one
>lpar need to know what SMS from the other lpar is doing?

You can run your four monoplexes in a shared SMS configuration with a
single shared SCDS/ACDS and common ACS routines.  SMS is aware of the
other systems, but each acts independantly.  That's what an SMS-Plex
is.  This kind of configuration goes back to the early days of SMS,
and I'd recommend that you do it that way.  When I set up SMS in just
such an environment, we also had a GRS ring in place among the MVS
images.  I forget whether or not it is a requirement.

Are you already running SMS on your four LPARs?

I have never shared volumes between different SMS environments.
Perhaps someone else has something to say about that.

Tom Marchant