To get to the new volumes are you using DEL/DEFs or letting SMS manage the
space for DB2 using STOGROUPS.

What I know about DB2 and Extending can fit on a pin, however, here goes.

Depending on the VERSION of DB2 if you do an ADDVOL but did not have enough
canidate volumes in the list, they may or maynot be used.

The UCB and UCBEXT control blocks tells the system how many volumes can be
added.  In the UCB it is 10 (I think), and the UCBEXT are 5 each.  If you
define the DB2 DB/TS/TB with VOL(* * * * * * * * * * * *) you would get the UCB
+ UCBEXT.  If you define  VOL(* * * *) then you only get the UCB and not the
UCBEXT.  In which case, when you try to extend it will not be able to.  Only
the REORG or possibly the stopping and starting of the DB  will work.

I am sure if I am in error in this, there will be correction information passed
;-).  But this is my understanding of ADDVOL and DB2 extensions.  I know at
some point, IBM correct the ADDVOL in DB2 to get another UCBEXT without have to
cycle or reorg the data base.

The DB2 List might have better information on this issue.

Lizette Koehler