-- snip --
Only 1 other device showed delays approaching this and it's on a different
ssid. No enq's, no contention, no IOSQ, no high activity rates (see 1st
post), no nothing. Muy Abnormal?
.
.
That's what I was wondering too. If XRC was the real problem, adding
PAV's would not help at all, but WLM probably cannot know that.
However, from WLM's point of view, the device must have had IOSQ delays,
otherwise WLM would not add more PAV's, but if this is the only job on
the device, this is not likely. *OR* you have a WLM bug at hand. What
z/OS release are you? Do you have dynamic WLM managed PAVs?
-- snip --
I would concentrate on the poor I/O response time and assume that WLM is
just trying to help.

Are you sure that XRC isn't setting the device to long busy? If you want to
elimate XRC as a possible culprit just set the device to DONOTBLOCK and
test again.

I would also take a look at the RMF MON I reports.

BTW. There have been WLM PTFs for unnecessary PAV movement.

John