In a recent note, Knutson, Sam said:

> Date:         Mon, 23 Oct 2006 11:57:18 -0400
>
> Good point.  Is this something that should be raised against the Binder
> as a requirement for load modules?  It doesn't seem like anyone who
> wants to do this should have to use anything besides IBM HLASM and
> Binder to accomplish it.  Is there a way to do that today?

The essence of any such requirement should be that Binder/CSV support
segregation of code and data; not that they support wasting storage.

(But what if a data-only CSECT is marked RENT,REFR?  Or a renegade
programmer mis-marks a CSECT?  I begin to believe that the answer
to Tom Marchant's question:

    Do you consider the architecture to be deficient because it does
    not provide for the separation of data and instructions?

... is "Yes.")

Is it necessary to round to a page boundary, or only to a cache line
boundary?  (Either is subject to architectural change.)

-- gil
--
StorageTek
INFORMATION made POWERFUL