-- snip --
As I said, we modify the label on the source volume so that it can't be
brought online, so IPL will ignore it and only see the volume on the
target disk.
> And I wonder what XRC sees during the SWAP with the Target offline,
> but since XRC is controller based it should see all of the I/O traffic
from
> FDRPAS.
If you have established a XRC session on the FDRPAS target disk prior to
the swap, then all the WRITEs to that disk should be mirrored,so the XRC
secondary will be an accurate mirror of the FDRPAS target disk when it
is brought online.

FDRPAS does no WRITEs to the source disk except for modifying the volume
label at the end, so that change should also be mirrored by that XRC
session.
-- snip --

One potential problem that I see is that the XRC system (after the swap has
happened) thinks that it has two primary volumes that both have the same
volser.
XRC doesn't propagate the I/O's that modified the volume label to the
secondary volume, but instead updates its own duplex pair information. This
information is then used during XRECOVER processing to relabel the
secondary volume to the correct primary volser.

Does XRC see the label change in the primary system as a normal ICKDSF
reformat?

If yes, then the duplex pair information will also be updated (at a minimum
you'll get an ANT message on the secondary system telling you that the
volser has changed).
If no (I don't know what FDRPAS actually changes), then XRC will continue
to believe that this primary/secondary pair are associated with the
original volser. That would cause problems during XRECOVER processing.

I don't have an XRC system to test this anymore, but Donn, you could easily
test this yourself and let us know what exactly happens.

John