Alan

Background: when an IP address is passed to an OSA port to be stored as an
address associated with a particular IP instance (running in a particular
LPAR), the OSA runs tests with the purpose of determining that the address
is not duplicated.

So E005 is the "reject code" when another IP instance has already claimed a
particular IP address and E00A is the "reject code" when ARP determines that
the IP address is already active on the connected LAN.

The E005 case is obvious if any thought is given to passing IP addresses but
the E00A case is not so obvious so thanks for the elaboration.

Having been alerted by this post, I had the idea that the E00A "reject code"
could result simply from finding an entry in the ARP cache but I expect that
actually re-verifying by sending out an ARP request would be a sensible
precaution in case of redefinition of IP addresses on the LAN. Thus it makes
sense that, whether or not an entry for the IP address already exists in the
ARP cache, an ARP request is sent out.

So why do you say "in theory"? If I have described it correctly - also I
hope an improvement on the way it is described in "System z9 and zSeries
Open Systems Adapter-Express Customer's Guide and Reference"[1] - then it's
very clear what should happen and surely what does happen.

Then I remembered ARP takeover and the fact that, whenever an OSA port
"DEVICE" is "STARTed", a "gratuitous" ARP is sent out in order to ensure
that and IP address associated with the LAN which had previously been "taken
over" would now be "reset" to the original OSA port interface. In the past I
have tested this with just two OSA ports with one IP address on the LAN
each - that is there were no VIPAs with an address within the subnet
associated with the LAN - most unadventurous of me!

The question that now arises is how to reconcile the "gratuitous" ARP which,
in essence, boldly asserts ownership of an IP address with an ARP request
which, in essence, timidly inquires whether or not an IP address is already
in use. Unfortunately I don't have testing facilities available to me these
days in order to sort out these sorts of questions.

Probably I've overlooked something obvious which testing would immediately
show me.

Another topic: you are implying - I'm sure you didn't mean to - that there
is but the one HOME address. There are of course potentially many HOME
addresses potentially needing to be checked when received by an OSA. For
example, the IP address could be associated with a dynamic VIPA that "moves
around" between IP instances. We see such a VIPA in Pierre-Andre's case. I
never had the wit to try having VIPAs belong within the address range,
subnet, associated with the immediately adjacent LAN but it seems to be
considered a valid "trick".

By "host" in your last paragraph you are specifically referring to an
interface address on the LAN on which the relevant OSA port is also an
interface. Sorry for the pedantry; it's a habit from teaching students who
do not have English as their mother tongue.

[1]

E005

An IP address was received by the OSA port that duplicates an IP address
already in use by another MPC (HPDT MPC mode) or LCS (TCP/IP Passthru mode)
session attached to the port.

E00A

An IP address was received by the OSA port that duplicates an IP address
being used by another IP connection in the IP network. Change one of the IP
addresses in the network.

Chris Mason