The use of Volatile really (in my opinion) deals more with DB2 Data Sharing
than anything else.  If you set the CF to Volatile YES - the DB2 Data Sharing
Regions put out a message

DSN7507I  :DSNQ DSN7LSTK  737
SCA STRUCTURE DSNSB0Q_SCA IS ALLOCATED IN A VOLATILE STRUCTURE.

This makes my DB2 guys crazy.  So we are switching our CF to NON-Volatile just
to take away the messages.  To us, the difference was a phone call at 2am in
the morning.  ;-)

Even though the CF is backed up by a UPS and that is what we cared about; just
not the DB2 Data Sharing Regions.

Lizette