In a message dated 10/27/2006 9:07:17 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

>The only issue here is whether or not the device is offline. If  there is an
>F it is offline.
Correct.  The DISPLAY command was written decades ago when drives  could
really be not ready, is attempting to display as much info as possible,  and
uses
the F as an abbreviation to allow room for more info, such as  NRD.  IBM
apparently did not want to rewrite that part of the code just  because it was
no
longer possible for DASD drives to become not ready.   There is a large number
of different reasons why IOS will not issue a  Start Subchannel instruction to
a DASD, and not ready was one of them long ago  and in a galaxy far away.
There is still a bit in the UCB for this  condition.  It does not occur on DASD
anymore, but can occur on other  device types (tape drives, e.g., on which you
can still mount a new  volume).

>I believe the NRD is a throw back to the old days when  you
>could flip a switch that would READY or NOT READY the physical  drive.
Correct.  There are probably still some DASD error recovery  situations in
which IOS uses this bit as a quick and dirty way to render a  device
unstartable.  There is also a bit in the IOSB that a caller of  STARTIO can
turn on to
tell IOS to do the SSCH even if the UCB says the device  is not ready.

>If I am wrong, please feel free to correct - especially you dinos  out there.
You are not wrong.

Bill  "pre-Cambrian" Fairchild

"Facts are  the enemy of truth." [Don Quixote in Man of La  Mancha]