If they have "24-bit COBOL under CICS" programs, there is a really GOOD
chance (but bad results) that the source code was compiled with OS/VS COBOL.
(I can't think of ANY reason to have 24-bit VS COBOL II or LE-conforming
COBOL under CICS).

If so, then there are SIGNIFICANT changes to the syntax that are required to
move the COBOL CICS source code to such that it will compile with a 31-bit
compiler.  The CCCA product will do much of it automatically - but it can be
done manually.

Therefore, the first question is to find out what COBOL compiler they were
using.  If it was OS/VS COBOL, then they have a BIG conversion project ahead
of them.  If it was VS COBOL II or a LE-conforming compiler, then it should
be a pretty easy matter to change to 31-bit (probably just a recompile and
re-link-edit - unless there are Assembler or other 24-bit programs used in
the application.

""Ted MacNEIL"" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:<[EMAIL PROTECTED]
00.bisx.prod.on.blackberry>...
> A former colleague of mine asked me how does he convert his CICS/COBOL
from 24-bit.
> He is an LE shop, but most of the programmes are still 24-bit.
>
> I tried to help, but not having written a COBOL programme since 1981, I'm
not exactly an expert.

> I told him the obvious:
> Recompile/link with RMODE/AMODE
>
> Under CICS: ALL31 ON
>
> Is there anything else? It's been so long since I've had to worry about
this that I cannot remember anything else!