It does indeed, and CPAC.PROCLIB is in our IEFPDSI, as you suggest.

This is from MVS Init & Tuna Ref:

"When you start a started task, the system determines whether the START
command refers to a procedure or a job. (The system validates that the
IEFJOBS DD exists within the MSTJCLxx member.) If the IEFJOBS DD exists, the
system searches the IEFJOBS DD concatenation for the member requested in the
START command. If there is no member by that name in the IEFJOBS
concatenation, or if the IEFJOBS concatenation does not exist, the system
searches the IEFPDSI DD for the member requested in the START command.

If a member is found, the system examines the first record for a valid JOB
statement and, if one exists, uses the member as the JCL source for the
started task.

If the member does not have a valid JOB statement in its first record, the
system assumes that the source JCL is a procedure and creates JCL to invoke
the procedure. After JCL source has been created (or found), the system
processes the JCL."

The process described for locating a started job seems clear, but if the
member located does *not* have a JOB card in it, the manual is less than
clear to me what is supposed to transpire.  It says it will invoke the
procedure -- the one it found in the IEFPDSI concatenation?  Apparently not,
from the way my system behaves.  Is it just me, or does this need an RCF?

Thanks,
Greg Shirey
Ben E. Keith Company