Tommy Tsui wrote:

Hi all,

Our shop plan to replace the 2 sets of IBM model  2064-2C5 machine and
we
are connected by parallel sysplex with sysplex timer 9037-002. I found
the model S18 with two books will be a good choice but I have the
following
question?
It is important to understand BOOK concept. Think about 2064 as single-book machine. You have several CPs active in your machine. However there are more CPs inside, waiting for upgrade. In z9 you can have one up to four books, each one contains memory and CPs. You can have up to 8 CPs using one book, max. 18 CPs on two-book, etc. However you can also have i.e. 5 CPs on two-book model as well as on single-book model. Two books in this case gives you better possibility to grow up (upgrade), better redundancy. But no CPU power. Both machines have the same MIPS or MSU number both have the same capacity marker: 705.
2094 S18 705
2094 S08 705

S18 model
MCMs=2
available PUs=24
Max availabel sub-capacity CP PU=8
Standard SAPs =4
Standard spares = 2
CP/IFL/ICF.ZAAP/ZIIP = 18
max memoary = 256G
max channel = 1024

Question:
1. Can I order each book with 4 CPs that mean total 8 CPs.
AFAIK yes. However AFAIK you cannot decide about CP location.

2. where can I find the actual process model ?  I only found,
      2094-401 to 2094-408  (1 book)
      2094-501 to 2094-508  (2 oooks)
      2094-601 to 2094-608  (3 books)
      2094-701 to 2094-754  (4 books)
      from
www-03.ibm.com/servers/eserver/zeries/lspr/zSerieszOS16MI.html

See explanation above. 4xx, 5xx and 6xx models have reduced power per CP. It is done for better granularity of CPU power, which was the issue for smaller machines. It is not your problem (2C5 is big machine).

3.  Can I still use the sysplex timer 9037-002 without using the STP ?

Yes.

4.  Except the 8 CPs allocate half in each book....is there another good
choice?

See above. IMHO CP location is not a customer choice.

5.  If I buy another new one S18 model...is it too complex to
interconnect
with the 2 sets of 2064-2C5...as you know the HCD ..is quite different..

any comment will be appreciate ...

It is not complex. The only important difference is multiple channel subsystem (CSS) concept. You add processor, then define CSS (new thing for z/990 and z9), then define LPARs and channels. In fact you can think about CSSes as separate machines. Each have 256 limit for CHPIDs, each have 15 limit for LPARs, etc.

HTH
--
Radoslaw Skorupka
Lodz, Poland