> When Amdahl started selling processors, the operating system
> was free. When IBM started to charge for it, they knew how much
> power an Amdahl processor had and where it fit in the pricing
> structure.  It's harder for them to know that with am emulator.
> What stops you from putting in faster processors, or additional
> processors?

Rare to see so much ignorance masquerading as authority.

a) IBM didn't have a clue how much power an Amdahl (or any other pocessor) had.
 Amdahl (and I
was part of the process) "declared" its processors to IBM.  The late (and
missed) Henry
Cassel's team was responsible - Tom Moore and others of the FBUPALS.  Huge
efforts were made
to make the declaration accurate - if you "under-declared" the user got cheap
software but
IBM's sales effort would disparage the machine against its own.  If you
"over-declared" the
opposite was true - you got bragging rights but the software was more expensive.

And I was also one of the team that "re-declared" the Amdahl 5990-1100 after an
IBM
announcement.  If you think IBM is bad, try getting CA to accept a downwards
re-declaration.

b) You obviously know NOTHING about emulation, or at least commercial emulation.
Fundamental's FLEX-ES is controlled these days by a USB dongle that defines the
permitted
performance and number of engines.  Yes, you can rehost onto a faster Intel
processor or add
engines - but FSI's code works with the dongle to deliver exactly the licensed
"MIPS" on the
number of engines licensed.  You buy 8 MIPS (actually 7.9) and you get 8 MIPS.
There is no
uncertainty in the process whatever.  It's even more complex - each dongle has
a time-limited
software key associated with it and the key must be refreshed periodically.

(And I remember standing on the top of a fire escape in a hotel in Budapest
downloading such a
key into my Nokia mobile phone from an FTP site in Fremont at around 03:00am a
few years
back.)

--
  Phil Payne