Bill,

My understanding (could be completely wrong, which is why I'm asking the
question) is....

XRC will block a primary volume for a certain amount of time (the time the
device is blocked is dependent on the vendor) if XRC can't keep up with the
records that need to be written to the secondary volume. If the residuals
go above a certain threshold (x'500' at our site)then XRC blocks any I/O to
primary volume (unless specified as DONOTBLOCK). It has never been
explained to me exactly how this happens. If I could find it in a manual
(believe me, i've tried), I'd be a happy Storage Administrator. Bear in
mind that XRC is Asynchronous. I can see that PPRC and synchronous copy
delays are recorded in DISC time, but it says nothing about Asynchronous
delays.

The CMR is the Command Response from the CU to the IOS to say that it was
ready for the I/O? I understood that until the CMR is recieved, the SSCH
command is not issued.

If the device blocking stops the CU from issueing a CMR, then IOSQ time
would be where the delays are recorded as the SSCH hasn't been issued.

Please feel free to pull my understanding to pieces as it's only through
fully understanding what is happening that I can get to grips with the
process and find out where our problems lay (lie?). Our performance team
are saying that XRC device blocking is causing the problems as can be seen
by the high DISC times. I don't believe that explanation (but am willing to
eat humble pie if they're right and I'm wrong).

JJ