You're right: ISPF has it, and you should be able to get it the same way,
but you can't. Why not? For the answer, search the archives for FAMS.

Charles

-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf
Of Dave Quinn
Sent: Wednesday, November 15, 2006 8:00 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Dynamically obtaining allocated space characteristics

Thanks so far ...

I want to run in a batch Assembler program.  Possibly provide a DSN as input
and return information as close to as possible that is returned from ISPF's
Dataset Information screen.

I had been looking at DSCB and came to the same conclusion about the primary
space.  I can total the tracks used through the extent list to get the space
used and get the secondary space requested, just not the primary requested.
I don't believe I could always find the SMF record.

I refuse to admit that this is not kept handy somewhere.  ISPF's "Dataset
Information" has it, why can't I.