Lindy writes:
>As an IBM development partner could you get an
>even bigger break on the software costs?  Why not
>the entire range of z/OS software like with the
>ADCD collection?  If IBM would give you this to
>do development for little or no cost then there
>would be little need for an emulation machine.

Yes, agreed.  As Dave Jones points out, PWD would provide development
licenses at a very attractive price.  I had a slightly different goal in
mind with that blog post, a "home mainframe" with full license rights for
time sharing, commercial use (such as hosting a Web site), etc.  I assumed
those uses would fall outside the PWD agreement.  Either way it is an
interesting thought exercise -- and, I hope, more than that if/when I open
my personal data center. :-)

One thing I didn't consider is whether it would be possible to set up PWD
LPARs alongside full commercially licensed z/OS.e LPARs, on the same
system. That might be another way to go for the CICS, IMS, COBOL, PL/I
application development resources while still providing commercial
capabilities under z/OS.e (for Web hosting, as an example).

Re: disk, there are boxes such as these:

http://www.bustech.com/products/zdasd-3990-controller.asp
http://www.luminex.com/products/virtualblue/3990.htm

For a home mainframe that might work. For business use it's another
question.

- - - - -
Timothy Sipples
IBM Consulting Enterprise Software Architect
Specializing in Software Architectures Related to System z
Based in Tokyo, Serving IBM Japan and IBM Asia-Pacific
E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]