From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Behalf Of Mark Zelden
Sent: Monday, November 27, 2006 11:21 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Orphan Tape mounts

On Fri, 24 Nov 2006 12:18:03 -0600, John Benik <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Yes unloads work, but when we have a lot of them it's quicker to vary
>the drives offline and back on.  We tried running a job using retain and
>were unable to reproduce this.

I've never looked into them... but I do see them also.  So I'm not sure
what the exact circumstances are.  One thing that I'm sure leaves them
mounted is a system crash. :-) (had any of those lately?)

Have you looked at the tape volser and the creation job in your tape
management software to see if that provides any clue?

Mark
--
Mark Zelden
Zurich North America / Farmers Insurance Group - GITO