In a recent note, Tony Harminc said:

> Date:         Mon, 27 Nov 2006 13:31:41 -0500
>
> IBM maintains a registry of three-character prefixes for modules and
> messages for both internal and vendor use. For example, my company Proginet
> "owns" SLB; owns in the sense that IBM promises not to use it for some new
> product or function next year. I'm not clear on what the name space for
> these prefixes covers, but it is at least module and message prefixes, and
> UNIX pathnames (e.g. we  "own" /usr/lpp/slb....), SMP/E FMIDs and such.
> Presumably it can be used for dataset qualifiers too.

"Presumably ... could" is a significant hedge compared to the OP's RACF
concerns.

> I have no idea if IBM will provide a list of in-use registrations, but any
> vendor (and maybe customer?) can register new ones or inquire about their
> own.

Unless IBM supplies such a list, the OP's RACF concerns can not be
addressed.  Perhaps if IBM were to declare USRLPP as a data set name
high level qalifier reserved for vendors, with the next qualifier
as registered, there could be relief.  But none for installation
tapes unless SMP/E flexes to accommodate such a convention.

-- gil
--
StorageTek
INFORMATION made POWERFUL