-- snip --
I have checked the manuals and the archives on this and I am still
unsure about mixing the yes and no values for SYNCHRES in a GRSPlex
(Basic sysplex if that matters any).  I need to bring my TEST LPAR into
.
.
-- snip --
We migrated from z/OS R4 to z/OS R6 and allowed the default to be in
effect so we implemented SYNCRES=YES on each system at the same time as
z/OS R6.  We ran a mixed level Sysplex for many months as the migration
of R6 onto a couple production LPARs had some interesting technical
challenges.
.
.We saw no ill effects or need to override the default in R6 till we
implemented it across the Sysplex.
-- snip --
I can't speak for this particular option, but in general there is great
peril in running shared systems with different views of what to
protect/allow and how to do it. In some cases, a new system cannot even
join a GRSplex if key options don't match. You could take the trusting
optimist view that if joining is not prohibited, then everything must be
hunky dory.
-- snip --

RESERVE processing is different with SYNCHRES and I had problems early on
(with XRC and CU long busy - if I remember correctly).

There is no requirement for SYNCHRES to be the same in all members of the
Sysplex. But, as Skip points out, it is preferable if all members of the
Sysplex serialize their resources in the same manner.

I would upgrade your z/OS 1.4 systems to using SYNCHRES=YES before running
the z/OS 1.7 System. As Sam indicated, it also works in a mixed Sysplex,
but I would prefer to migrate to SYNCHRES=YES first, before upgrading the
z/OS image to 1.7. It would be nice to know if you have any
RESERVE/SYNCHRES problems before migrating.

For additional reading, look at OA18968 (z/OS 1.8) and also OA14080. The
last apar is especially interesting since it deals with LSPACE, MIH and
SYNCHRES=YES.

John