On Fri, 16 Feb 2007 14:28:32 -0600, Chase, John <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> >I created an HFS with an allocation of 10 cylinders, to be mounted on
>
>> >'/u' and contain only "private" user directory entries / mountpoints.
>> >However, when I display the DSI from ISPF 3.4 using line command 'I',
>
>> >it shows this:
>> >
>> >Data Set Name  . . . : OMVS.USER.DIRECT
>> >
>> >General Data                          Current Allocation
>> > Management class . . : **None**       Allocated cylinders : 92
>> > Storage class  . . . : SCOMVS         Allocated extents . : 92
>> >  Volume serial . . . : TECH07         Maximum dir. blocks : NOLIMIT
>> >  Device type . . . . : 3390
>> > Data class . . . . . : **None**
>> >  Organization  . . . : PO            Current Utilization
>> >  Record format . . . : U              Used pages  . . . . : 12
>> >  Record length . . . : 0              % Utilized  . . . . : 1
>> >  Block size  . . . . : 0              Number of members . : 3
>> >  1st extent cylinders: 1
>> >  Secondary cylinders : 1
>> >  Data set name type  : HFS
>> >
>> >Can anybody explain why it shows 92 cylinders and 92 extents under
>> >"current allocation"?
>> >

>> John,
>>
>> When did you create it?  Is it possible you really allocated
>> it with 1,1 and it grew (yes, I can see it is not utilized at
>> the moment)?  Did you allocate it via ISPF or batch? Can you
>> re-create the problem?  Can you copy it to a newly allocated HFS?
>
>Think I figured it out:  Apparently one user either "forgot" to
>allocate/mount his "private" HFS or misread my instructions to do so.
>Anyway, he did a bunch of stuff that used a lot of space, then "cleaned
>up the mess".  Not a really big deal, since it's on the "sandbox".

That's the catch-22 with secondaries.  They are good because you don't
want to abend applications / users, but then you don't want the situation
you have either.  At least you can use an ISPF FREE UNUSED SPACE
command with PS, PO and PO-E. You need to reallocate / copy the HFS
to free up the space or use something like Innovation's COMPAKTOR.

Mark
--
Mark Zelden
Zurich North America / Farmers Insurance Group:  G-ITO