Since I received no reply to my first note I thought I'd word it
differently.  The 15 to 1 ratio can be explained by normal tape I/O.  It
seems the bottle neck is at the Brocade directors.  We dump the data into
an edge and it hits the front end at 60 MBPS the network then compresses
it and it goes across compressed.  We are not using the tape drives on the
other end as optimally as they should be so we are getting a shoe shine
effect.  Not good on this large tape.  Is anybody else doing tape backups
at a remote location using Brocade(McData) equipment?