And I note in this list perceptible enthusiasm for ShopZ, which I think
embraces RECEIVE ORDER, but little enthusiasm for RECEIVE FROMNETWORK.

I probably would have stated it the other way around: ShopzSeries embraces RECEIVE FROMNETWORK. RECEIVE ORDER and ShopzSeries don't really have much of a relationship, and in fact RECEIVE ORDER can be a bit of a replacement for ShopzSeries for PTF orders.

For those who desire a bit more comparison, here is my nut shell's worth: ShopzSeries is an ordering portal for (1) individual products in CBPDO form, (2) system replace offerings like ServerPac, and (3) PTFs. To take delivery over the Internet of an order placed in Shopz, you can use SMP/E RECEIVE FROMNETWORK. RECEIVE FROMNETWORK drives the FTP operation to download the order files to z/OS. (For ServerPac orders you don't use the SMP/E RECEIVE FROMNETWORK command, but instead the ServerPac install dialog uses an SMP/E service routine, GIMGTPKG, which does essentially the same thing as RECEIVE FROMNETWORK.)

SMP/E RECEIVE ORDER on the other hand is a logical combination of both ShopzSeries and RECEIVE FROMNETWORK. That is, RECEIVE ORDER is an ordering portal (albeit only for PTFs and HOLDDATA) AND it drives the FTP operation to download the order's files, all in one fell swoop.

<snip>

Do customers in any substantial number download directly to z/OS?  My
perception is they download to desktops and FTP/Samba/IND$FILE to
z/OS.

Yes I believe a significant number do download directly to z/OS, even using RECEIVE FROMNETWORK, although folks on this list can speak for themselves since I don't have actual numbers to share.

<snip>

Why did IBM choose to use HTTPS for RECEIVE ORDER rather than staying with
a uniform FTP protocol?

When RECEIVE ORDER was being architected, new(er) technologies on the server side dictated HTTPS (read: web services). The existing FTP infrastructure for file download was chosen, well, because it was existing (if it ain't broke...).

Kurt Quackenbush -- IBM, SMP/E Development