IBM Mainframe Discussion List wrote:
The 2321 was only responsible for the bb part of the mbbcchhr. The m was, and still is, the extent number in the DEB. Bill Fairchild
Plainfield, IL

i.e. seek CCW has six byte length ... bbcchh

CKD DASD command codes ... from my q&d conversion of gcard ios3270 to html
(seek has count/length of "6"):
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/gcard.html#26.1

pictures of 2321 here:
http://members.optushome.com.au/intaretro/2321DCD.htm
http://www.columbia.edu/acis/history/datacell.html

in the above you can see "bin" closeup ... "BB" selection could
rotate the whole cylinder to place correct "bin" under the read/write heads ... rotation somewhat would reminded me of washing machine.

past posts mentioning 2321 in this thread:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2007e.html#51 FBA rant
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2007e.html#63 FBA rant

there is some slight physical packaging resemblance between 2321 and 2301 drum
... both
appearing to be cylinders. 2301 drum can be seen here in mid-background to the
right
of the tape-drives.
http://www.columbia.edu/acis/history/2311.html

another system picture with 2301 in mid-background
http://www.cs.ncl.ac.uk/events/anniversaries/40th/images/ibm360_672/29.jpg

close-up here
http://www.columbia.edu/acis/history/drum.html