[EMAIL PROTECTED] (mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED])  wrote:
>We would like to move these records from SMF to GTF

To disagree slightly with Barry Merrill, not all SMF records are written
using an SVC.  There is also a branch entry path if using the SMFEWTM macro
instead of SMFWTM.  But this is a nit.  I don't know which form DB2  uses.

Another big consideration in favor of SMF is that IBM has made SMF the
flagship vehicle for getting accounting/performance data out of MVS.  Great
pains
have been taken to optimize the I/O performance of the SMF writer (but GTF  is
not too shabby, either).  And a full SMF data set can be automatically
switched to start recording in a different, empty SMF data set.  As far as  I
know,
GTF does not have such a facility.  A few years ago another problem  with GTF
was that there could only be one GTF running in an MVS image, and  anyone who
needed GTF data for debugging had to wait for the SMF-capturing GTF  to end.
But now you can have multiple GTFs running simultaneously.

Bill  Fairchild
Plainfield, IL

"Criticism and dissent are the indispensable  antidote to major delusions."
[Alan Barth, 1951; The Loyalty of Free  Men]

http://www.aol.com.