KC Eric,

I remember encountering a similar message when trying 'hilite dtl'
on an HFS HTML file that had records that were longer than 255
characters. However, as you mention COBOL I doubt that that's the
reason.

Anyway, did you press F1 (or enter 'help') upon the first message
being displayed?
Maybe there will be another message telling you in more detail
what's wrong.

Robert