Jacky,

You didn't mention which database it is, so I'm assuming it's DB2.
Just use TEMPLATE to dynamically allocate required files and DB2 will do the
calculations
for you based on DB2 catalog information. Sort work files are also controlled
by REORG
SORTDEVT and SORTNUM keywords which will tell DB2 how many work files to
dynamically allocate
for sorting.

Walter Trovijo Jr.