----- Original Message ----- From: "JONES, CHARLIE" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Newsgroups: bit.listserv.ibm-main
Sent: Thursday, March 22, 2007 12:33 PM
Subject: Null in JCL causing ERROR

We are on z/OS 1.7 - We had a JCL error and determined that the cause
was
An x'00' (null) between a STEPNAME and its corresponding EXEC directive.
We changed
The null to a x'40' (space) and everything worked fine.  The programmer
that created the JCL
Claims that the JCL with the embedded null worked okay under z/OS 1.4
during testing.   Anyone
with knowledge of the effect of nulls in JCL and any behaviorial Changes
between z/OS 1.4 to
z/OS 1.7.

If anyone is on z/OS 1.4 could just change a space x'40' to a null x'00'
and see what happens
It would be appreciated.

Charlie,

Just ran the test on my z/OS V1R4. Your programmer is, at best, mistaken, at worst, lying (x'00 between TESTNULL and EXEC):

       2 //TESTNULL EXEC PGM=IEFBR14
STMT NO. MESSAGE
       2 IEFC662I INVALID LABEL
       2 IEFC605I UNIDENTIFIED OPERATION FIELD