On Thu, 22 Mar 2007 13:01:22 -0400, Art Celestini
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I've been asked to explore the feasibility of reading standard-labeled MVS
tapes on other platforms.  I know that 3580/90 devices can be attached via
Escon/Fiber Channel HBAs, and that IBM offers a device driver for certain *nix
systems.

>So, my question:  Is anyone doing this?  And if so, is there any available
software that will handle the O/C/EOV functions (label checking, positioning,
etc.), or would this all need to be built from the ground up, above the driver?

Hi Art,

Yes and Yes.  Our software product TelTape for Windows operates devices
such as 3590, 3580, 9840 that are SCSI or FC attached.  (ESCON is not part
of the picture).  The IBM drivers are not needed by this software.
The product understands IBM SL processing well.  There are commands to
copy datasets (including multi-volume) to disk files, tape map, check (read all
blocks on the tape volume), and browse.  There are also commands for data
security erase and certify that preserve volume labels, and mass initialize.
For
3590/9840, there is built-in interpretation of sense bytes, and display of
certain statistics.  We have been told that we have the best GUI for such a
tool.  I can send you further information off-list.

Regards,
Mike Baldwin    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Cartagena Software Ltd.
www.cartagena.com