In a recent note, Clark Morris said:

> Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2007 10:15:06 -0300
>
> As someone who modified an exit 6 from the CBT tape that set job class
> based on job requirements to meet my shop's needs, I obviously
> disagree vehemently.  Job class is a means of assigning work.  If the
> job class is based on job requirements known at JCL interpretation,
> then it is better for the organization to have the system set the job
> class.  That way if rules change, JCL doesn't have to change. Further,
> it is one less piece of arcanity that the applications people have to
> remember in order to do their job.

Bravo!

At my first experience with MVS, I perceived "arcanity".  Jobs
should specify their requirements explicitly and initiators should
be configurable to select jobs that fit various profiles of
requirements.  "Classes" should be relegated to the status of
a library of job requirement profiles.

A fortiori SYSOUT classes.  There's no way to shoehorn the
multiplicity of the Cartesian product of output device types,
forms, destinations, etc. into 36 SYSOUT classes as I've seen
administrators attempting to do.

-- gil
--
StorageTek