On Mar 28, 2007, at 2:41 PM, (IBM Mainframe Discussion List) wrote:

In a message dated 3/28/2007 2:29:46 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
Why verify and fail when the system can just make it what it should be this
week?  How is productivity helped.

One reason - the job's submitter may be trying to run his work at lower cost
than the correct job class would cost, assuming a job-class-based
charge-back policy is in effect. I heard long ago about a user who was printing free copies of a large document by submitting the document as comment statements with a deliberate JCL error. MVS would then list all JCL, including what was really his text, and not charge him for either running the job that failed due to a JCL error or printing the "error" listing. He was eventually found out. But this could be an urban legend. Sounded cool at the time, anyway.

Bill Fairchild

Bill,

Excellent point even if might be an urban legend.

In our case though we were running on a razor thin (cpu constrained system) and we did not have the resources for certain type of jobs. People would try and sneak those jobs into inits that were "guaranteed" turn around in 2 minutes (or less). When we did not meet that commitment there was a meeting convened and I had to explain "why". I did not enjoy those meetings as I had to come up with an explanation which entailed a lot of research through SMF. I was already working 90 hours a week and another 10 hours doing research was not fun.

Ed