-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Clark Morris
Sent: Monday, April 02, 2007 12:59 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: 3490 off maintenance June 30 2007

On 2 Apr 2007 07:19:16 -0700, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Pommier, Rex
R.) wrote:

>All true, except when the software vendor is keeping track internally
>of GDG numbers and names, and is dynamically generating the JCL to
>create these datasets.  We were told by the vendor that it is 1 dataset

>per tape due to their dynamic JCL generation and it won't be changing.

>Yes, I'd LOVE to dump this vendor, but unfortunately they're the only
>player in the field.
You probably can still get around this with a JES exit or a program that
receives the generated job stream.  I suspect that many of us on this
list (probably including you) could come up with a way to bring the
vendor's method into conformance with your shop's direction without
compromising vendor support.

Clark,

Understood, but the current political climate won't allow that.  The
software in question is actually "owned" by a DBA and neither of us has
the time or energy to tackle something like this.  In addition, the
vendor is really picky about doing anything to change the way their
system works.  In addition, we're in a "get off the mainframe" project
(year 7 of a 3 year process, but that's a different story) so I'm not
supposed to spend any time supporting this.  All told, the 3490s don't
cost me much to maintain and rumor has it that "pretty soon now" we will
be able to discontinue this process by replacing it with real-time
updates between our IDMS database and Oracle sitting on HP-UX.

Rex