that has been posted to bit.listserv.ibm-main,alt.folklore.computers as well.

JimKeo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> I remember with great fondness working with VS/Pascal when on contract
> to IBM working on VM and MVS implementation of TCPIP.
>
> Later IBM came out with a C version of much of the TCPIP suite and one
> of my duties was to address serious performance issues with TCPIP
> stack but mostly with the C FTP Server (and later C FTP Client).
>
> At some point performance had finally been improved enough to where C
> FTP was competitive with the earlier VS/Pascal offering. When I
> suggested I could make some of the same improvements to the VS/Pascal
> version some folks were positively apoplectic. {smile}
>
> They, understandably but regretably, wanted the "old" Pascal FTP
> buried and replaced by the "new" C FTP and knew renewed performance
> issues (Pascal faster than C) would just cause grief to some.
>
> Hmmm. It's been almost a decade but is anyone able to ascertain
> whether IBM FTP Server or client still has some of my assembler CSECTs
> with names like WRTFBA** or WRTVB** linked/bound somewhere? Just
> curious.

re:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2007h.html#41 Fast and Safe C Strings: User
friendly C macros to Declare and use C Strings

the initial implementation and would get about 44kbyte/sec consuming
most of a 3090 processor. i then added the support for rfc1044 and some
tuning tests at cray research was getting channel speed (1mbyte/sec)
between 4341 clone and a cray machine ... using only a modest amount of
the 4341 processor ... i.e. about 25 times the aggregate thruput for
about 1/20 the pathlength ... about 400-500 times difference in
bytes/transferred per instruction executed.

re:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2007h.html#8 whiny question: Why won't z/OS support
the HMC 3270 emulator

misc. posts mentioning various compromises, vulnerabilities, exploits,
etc related C language
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subintegrity.html#overflow
and misc. past posts mentioning having done rfc1044 support
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subnetwork.html#1044

for other topic drift ... we had an internal high-speed backbone
... part of our hsdt (high-speed data transport project)
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subnetwork.html#hsdt

and we working with various organizations and NSF for applying it
to NSFNET related operations ... various old email from the period
http:/www.garlic.com/~lynn/lhwemail.html#nsfnet

in various posts
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subnetwork.html#nsfnet