-- snip --
If the unit is being used in a sysplex then the following command issued
on one system should suffice :

 RO *ALL,D U,,,addr

However, as Shane points out if the unit is online to a system outside
the sysplex, then I cannot think of a better procedure than :

 (a) Gulp
 (b) Issue the "D U,,,addr" command on each system until found.
 (c) Do something to ensure that this doesn't happen again (HCD,
auto-ops, configxx etc etc)
-- snip --

I used to work for a client that shared tape drives between IBM and Siemens
hardware. Keeping a tab on which system currently has a tape assigned is
possible with a little work.

Rob's (b) suggestion could include some kind of a procedure that sends the
Display Unit commands via TCP/IP to the different sysplexes (or OEM
systems) and then returns the results. Not trivial - just an idea.

The MVS command DS QTAPE can be used to return device information - but
unfortunately, the assigned information is not available.

John