that has been posted to bit.listserv.ibm-main,alt.folklore.computers as well.

Howard Brazee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> A bit off topic:   I find your input to these threads in general to be
> quite useful.   They appear to take a fair amount of work - are they
> part of your jobs, or is this just a style you are comfortable with?

re:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2007i.html#33 Internal DASD Pathing

i had done some amount of the semi-automated computer conferencing
via email (copy list) mechanism on the internal network
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subnetwork.html#internalnet

in the late 70s and early 80s ... and got blaimed for something called
"tandem memos" (there was even a nov81 datamation article about tandem
memos). tandemo memos were somewhat spawned by various trip reports
visiting Tandem after Jim left SJR. somewhat recent postings referencing
Jim and his departure from SJR:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2007.html#1 "The Elements of Programming Style"
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2007.html#13 "The Elements of Programming Style"
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2007d.html#17 Jim Gray Is Missing

somewhat as an outcome of various investigations into the "tandem memo"
phenomena ... there were decisions to deploy officially sanctioned
corporate computer conferencing capability.

there was also a researcher hired that sat in the back of my office for
nine months and studied how i communicated; phone, face-to-face, email,
instant messeging, etc. they had copies of my incoming and outgoing
email and logs of all instant messages. The resulting report was also
published as a stanford phd thesis (joint between ai and language) and
the subject matter for some number of papers and books. some related
posts mentioning computer mediated conferencing
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subtopic.html#cmc

never got paid for it ... frequently closer to the opposite ... minor
reference:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2007e.html#48 time spent/day on a computer

there were sometimes jokes in the mid-80s about various subject threads
having gotten "wheeler'ized" ... i.e. when possibly 80-90% percent of
the characters in some corporate/world wide discussion were found to
originate from my keyboard. most consider that i have extremely mellowed
since then ... and have been doing it for 30 yrs or so

somewhat drifting back to the original topic ... misc. collected
posts about getting to play in the disk engineering (bldg. 14)
and disk product test (bldg. 15) labs.
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subtopic.html#disk