From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf
Of Paul Gilmartin
Sent: Thursday April 26 2007 13:14
To: IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Best practices for software delivery

In a recent note, McKown, John said:

> Date:         Thu, 26 Apr 2007 11:30:30 -0500
>
> I even did this with some files that resided on UNIX. You use "pax" to
> create an archive, and direct it out to a z/OS legacy dataset with
> LRECL=1,RECFM=FB,BLKSIZE=?. Then XMIT the pax archive and put it in the
> aforementioned PDS.

As an experiment, I once went one step beyond this with a combination
of TRANSMIT and pax archives.  IIRC, I inverted your format and
put the TRANSMIT inside the pax instead.  Then I uuencoded the pax
archive and put it in an instream data set in a batch job.  Simply
submit the job and it unpacks everything.

o It's unsafe to use TRANSMIT output directly in an instream
  data set because cols. 1-2 might contain "//" or any other
  delimiter you choose.

o In fact, I had to filter the uuencode output through sed(1)
  because uudecode is hostile to trailing blanks in the 'begin'
  command.