<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in  message
news:<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
>  Assuming the following JCL:
>
> //DD1   DD   DSN=dsname1,disp=shr
> //         DD   DSN=dsname2,disp=shr
> //         DD   DSN=dsname3,disp=shr
>
> Where DD1 is opened for input.
> All  files are on DASD.
> How can I tell when dsname1 has been 'exhausted' and  reading
> starts on dsname2, etc?

You didn't say what access method you are using, or what "I" is that is
going to tell.  I assume that "I" is an Assembler program that is doing the
reading via a DCB with some access method.  If this is true, then you can  find
the
IOB from the DCB, and the M part of the IOB's MBBCCHHR will be  incremented
by one each time you move from the end of one data set's extent to  either the
next extent for that data set or else the next DD.  If all data  sets involved
are single-extent files, then it is easy.  If not, more  programming is
necessary to go from the IOB's M to find which data set is  involved.

If "I" is TMON/MVS, then you can find the IOB and set the screen to
auto-refresh every X seconds.  Then you can watch M change visually.

Bill  Fairchild
Plainfield, IL

"If there is one principle more deeply rooted  in the mind of every American,
it is that we should have nothing to do with  conquest." [Thomas Jefferson]