that has been posted to bit.listserv.ibm-main,alt.folklore.computers as well.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rick Fochtman) writes:
> I went "the other way" in the Army, finding myself in a tropical
> climate where the main diet was rice, with a few vegetables and maybe
> a water buffalo, when the gunner "forgot" to clear the M2-HB before
> attempting to "clean" it. In my (somewhat limited) experience, the
> officers were there to get some combat time, and pay, into their
> service records, as a stepping stone to further promotion.  Net
> result: the sergeants ran the Army while the officers "fought the
> battles" and collected the medals. Needless to say, I have a very low
> opinion of high-flying "leaders" that don't share the hardships of
> those who are "led".

re:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2007j.html#61 Lean and Mean: 150,000 U.S. layoffs
for IBM?

for other boyd drift, he did yr running datacenter at "spook base"
... possibly largest in the world ... at least in the fareast, at the
time, claim was that it represented a $2.5B windfall for IBM.
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2005t.html#1 Dangerous Hardware
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2005t.html#2 Dangerous Hardware
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2005t.html#5 Dangerous Hardware
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2006u.html#51 Where can you get a Minor in
Mainframe?
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2007g.html#13 The Perfect Computer - 36 bits?
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2007i.html#4 John W. Backus, 82, Fortran developer,
dies

and for other drift ... boyd's briefing on "organic design for command
and control" ... past posts mentioning the briefing
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/94.html#8 scheduling & dynamic adaptive ... long
posting warning
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2000e.html#34 War, Chaos, & Business (web site), or
Col John Boyd
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2002q.html#33 Star Trek: TNG reference
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2002q.html#34 Star Trek: TNG reference
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2003h.html#46 employee motivation & executive
compensation
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2004k.html#25 Timeless Classics of Software
Engineering
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2004l.html#34 I am an ageing techy, expert on
everything. Let me explain the
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2004q.html#69 Organizations with two or more
Managers
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2005e.html#1 [Lit.] Buffer overruns
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2005e.html#2 [Lit.] Buffer overruns
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2005e.html#3 Computerworld Article: Dress for
Success?
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2005n.html#14 Why? (Was: US Military Dead during
Iraq War
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2006q.html#41 was change headers: The Fate of VM -
was: Re: Baby MVS???
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2007c.html#25 Special characters in passwords was
Re: RACF - Password rules
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2007i.html#35 ANN: Microsoft goes Open Source

and as before ... lots of other past posts mentioning Boyd as well as
other URLs from around the web
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subboyd.html