If you have QW, do QW STATUS.

+-------+--------------+-------+-----------------------------------------|
| 9     | Implementor- | 0     | 1.  For multithreading only:  A CLOSE   |
|       | defined      |       |     of a VSAM or QSAM file was          |
|       | condition    |       |     attempted on a thread that did not  |
|       |              |       |     open the file.                      |
|       |              |       |                                         |
|       |              |       | 2.  Without multithreading:  For VSAM   |
|       |              |       |     only: See the information on VSAM   |
|       |              |       |     return codes in the Enterprise      |
|       |              |       |     COBOL Programming Guide.            |
|       |              +-------+-----------------------------------------|

For bookread, search on STATUS (case sensitive)

6.1.8.9.1  File status key

same info

Underlying problem is probably the programmer didn't define and display
the second status "field" which shows VSAM rc/fdbk.

4.2.13  FILE STATUS clause                    © Copyright IBM Corp. 1991,
2004
                                                     Topic lines 1 to 36
of 76

     The FILE STATUS clause monitors the execution of each input-output
   operation for the file.

   When the FILE STATUS clause is specified, the system moves a value into

   the file status key data item after each input-output operation that
   explicitly or implicitly refers to this file. The value indicates the

   status of execution of the statement. (See the file status key
description
   under "Common processing facilities" in topic 6.1.8.9.)

   data-name-1
             The file status key data item can be defined in the
             working-storage, local-storage, or linkage sections as either
of
             the following:

                 A two-character alphanumeric item

                 A two-character numeric data item, with explicit or
implicit
                 USAGE IS DISPLAY. It is treated as an alphanumeric item.

             data-name-1 must not contain the PICTURE symbol 'P'.

             data-name-1 can be qualified.

             The file status key data item must not be variably located;
that
             is, the data item cannot follow a data item that contains an

             OCCURS DEPENDING ON clause.

   data-name-8
             Must be defined as a group item of 6 bytes in the
             working-storage section or linkage section of the data
division.

             Specify data-name-8 only if the file is a VSAM file (that is,

             ESDS, KSDS, RRDS).

IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU> wrote on 05/10/2007
01:21:37 PM:

> List - I am having a terrible time finding an AMS messages and
codesmanual.
> Didn't they incorporate that with SMS way back when?
>
> We have a batch COBOL job that gets a return code of 90 when it attempts
> write a record to a VSAM file.  The user indicates a 90 as an
> "unknown error".
> I would like to see IBM's explanation of it.
>
> Could someone be so kind to point me to the correct manual with VSAM
return
> codes?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Patrick Lyon

The information contained in this communication (including any
attachments hereto) is confidential and is intended solely for the
personal and confidential use of the individual or entity to whom
it is addressed. The information may also constitute a legally
privileged confidential communication. If the reader of this
message is not the intended recipient or an agent responsible for
delivering it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified
that you have received this communication in error and that any
review, dissemination, copying, or unauthorized use of this
information, or the taking of any action in reliance on the
contents of this information is strictly prohibited. If you have
received this communication in error, please notify us immediately
by e-mail, and delete the original message. Thank you