On Mon, 14 May 2007 16:26:48 +0200, R.S. <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Well, it's safe, convenient, error-proof, but EXPENSIVE.

Yes... it has a cost.  As I said, the cost of duplexing test data is probably
a nit.  For production, yes we are duplexing things that *may* not be
needed for DR (but who really knows... and I hope we never find out).
The landscape has changed over the years so perhaps we will re-visit this
again some day. But just because DASD is mirrored doesn't mean a
(virtual) tape data set isn't needed as input from a previous day's, week's or
month's run of some application.

But the other benefit (and part of the reasoning behind it and getting
approval for the $$$) is the size of these back end volumes (MVCs for
those of you speaketh VSM).  If one of those puppies gets destroyed
or is unreadable... that's a lot of data (typically hundreds of virtual
volumes) on a single tape.  And we've had our share of bad media issues.
So at that point the extra cost (beyond in-house recovery) is shipping the
duplex MVCs off site and storing them,

Mark
--
Mark Zelden
Zurich North America / Farmers Insurance Group:  G-ITO