On Fri, 18 May 2007 10:42:32 -0400, Farley, Peter x23353 wrote:

>Let the customer decide what they want:
>
>SYSTMEG        Time, Execute, GMT
>SYSTMEL        Time, Execute, Local

But that's a more significant change.  I suspect symbolic substitution
is performed at only one step in the job flow, prior to the availability
of the execution time values.

And, at what point in the flow must data set names be fixed for ENQs and
JES3 scheduling?

I'd be pleased enough to have only the submission or conversion (whichever
is more practical) values.  GMT, of course.

>And to reply to another poster's objection, these are NOT JOB-saved values.
>They are "live" when-used values maintained at the system level only.  If
>you the user want the same value later in the JCL, then save it in a SET
>variable of your own.

Complicateder and complicateder.  So would SETs involving conversion time
symbols need to be elaborated at conversion time, SETs involving execution
time symbols need to be elaborated at execution time, etc.

BTW, the JCL RM appears to prohibit using symbols in SET statements, though
the statement is ambiguous and appears to be entirely unenforced.

-- gil